Apple & Nectarine Tart

Guess what? That's right, the Jewish holiday season has begun and this year we're kicking it off with the Jewish New Year (Rosh Hashanah).

Rosh Hashanah is all about the apples and their trusty sidekick honey, all in hopes of a sweet new year. pretty cute, right? nice job Judaism.

I recently made Apple Cake, which honestly would have been a great Rosh Hashanah treat but I decided to switch it up and try something new. My friend Adina did make the apple cake though and it turned out beautifully!


I settled on making a tart of sorts, and because I'm really not a big cooked apple fan I added some nectarines. 


I was truly winging it with this dough, and I think it came out decently. All I knew was I wanted something rustic and not too sweet.

It turned out really crumbly, which I didn't mind but I think adding an egg would have been wise.


Things to consider: Keep the butter very cold & chop it into small cubes. Also, I didn't label it as such but I used whole wheat flour.


Time to toss all the dry ingredients in the mixer and pulse it a bit.


Come on, those ingredients are beautiful together, don't you think?


Then I slowly added the butter until it looked like sand with some pea sized butter chunks in it. At this point, I would add an egg but I didn't. And then the ice water gets drizzled in to bring it all together.

Think modified pie dough.

The dough should then be kneaded together for a minute or two, wrapped in plastic wrap, and left to sit in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...It's high time you slice up those apples & nectarines


I used 2 granny smiths apples & 2 nectarines. But do whatchu want! You could really use any fruit, maybe some berries or plums?



Now that the fruit is in the past the dough has got to be rolled out.

Make sure to generously flour the surface and the rolling pin and roll the dough out pretty thin, maybe a fourth of an inch.


I baked my "tart" on a miniature cookie sheet (1/4 sheet pan) and it was teflon coated so I didn't butter it up but if yours doesn't have the coating I would definitely grease it up first.

Lucky me, I had some peach jam on hand! yikes...this new year is already moving along nicely, wouldn't you say? I mean fruit tarts and homemade jam? score.


So I took some of said jam and put a thin coating on the dough before I layered in the fruit. If the jam is too thick, just add a bit of water to thin it out slightly.




After that I sprinkled a good amount of brown sugar over the top and into the oven it went, 350 degrees Fahrenheit for just about 45 minutes.

Right after it came out I took some of the peach jam and passed it through a sieve to get rid of any big chunks and then I brushed that over the top.



There you have it. I loved the rustic dough but it was a little crumblier than I would prefer. That being said, this dessert was delicious.

One last thing, I made some caramel whip cream to top it off. I just mixed a considerable amount of this caramel that we had in the fridge with cream and whipped it up. It was the perfect accompaniment.



Obviously this is going to be a damn sweet year to come. I'm actually really looking forward to it.


4 comments:

  1. That's a great looking apple cake! The apples and nectarines combo look delicious! Yup,looking forward to a better year ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tart looks wonderful! I loev how you added the nectarines. L'Shana Tova!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing. Best photography too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you! It was pretty tasty. I'd like to perfect the dough in my next attempt.

    beth- shana tova to you too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...