It started with a bundle of "almost too ripe to eat, so juicy they're an utter mess peaches." No, that's a lie. It started with my pops, the man loves peaches. And almost as much as he love peaches, he loves pie. See, I really totally love pie but I'm all about the berry variety, all tart and ready to stain your favorite shirt as you gobble it up, see that right there is my style. Not my dad though, the man loves the apple or peach variety so it was high time I make one for him.
3.5 pounds ripe peaches
3.5 tablespoons brown sugar
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
1 recipe 3-2-1 pie dough (2 disks)
1 pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 425
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and prepare a large bowl of ice water
- Score the bottom of the peaches with an "x" through the skin
- Drop the peaches into the water for 1-2 minutes
- Remove directly to the bowl of ice water, when chilled carefully dry the peaches off
- Peel the the skin and discard. Remove the pit and slice the peaches
- Toss peaches with the sugar, salt, and flour
- Roll out one of the dough disks on a very floured surface. The dough should be thing, and be at least 14 inches wide (there will be extra).
- Roll the disk back over a floured rolling pin and transfer to a pie dish. Carefully roll it over the top of the dish and then gently push in into place, so it is right against the dish
- Meanwhile, roll out the other disk the same way
- Add the peaches to the pie dough and top with dots of the butter
- Top with the second round of dough. Trim off extra dough and pinch the edges with your fingers. Make four small slits in the top.
- Bake the pie on top of a cookie sheet for 40-50 minutes
- If it starts browning too quickly, cover with tin foil