Pancakes


Pancakes:

We have a love hate relationship. At first I hated waking up at 4:00 am everyday to work the breakfast shift in Aspen. I hated making batches of pancake batter in bowls large enough to hold a baby, or two.
And then I still hated waking up at 4:00 am, because honestly I don't think anyone smiles fondly at the sight of an alarm clock demanding you get out of bed to walk to work in the dark snowy "morning" (uphill both ways, right?) Okay but then, after that, after I recognized that the secret to waking up before 5:00 am is going to bed before 9:00 pm, well after that I kind of got the hang of it.

Maybe breakfast wasn't my favorite shift to work but I'll be damned if I didn't master those pancakes! Lemon ricotta? Ain't no thang! Fluffy Buttermilk? Any day! I made those pancakes better than those recipes could have ever imagined. A pinch more of this, a squeeze more of that. Those pancakse didn't stand a chance. That's where the love part comes in, I loved knowing I could make pancakes better than anyone else in that place. A modest title, but I loved it. What's the moral here? No idea! I'm just sayin, I know a thing or two about pancakes and walking to work along side a fox, in a mountain town at foolish hours of the morning.


I've mentioned my recent interest (re: obsession) with lemon poppyseed, and I'm kind of thinking it's here to stay. Lemon, who woulda thought? I'm actually enjoying it.


I am not exaggerating when I say I used to run from lemon baked goods.
If I saw lemon curd on a menu I became slightly offended (maybe exaggerating a little), 
and now here I am eating it for breakfast like some kind of lemon crazed lunatic. 

My cousin and assistant cook/photography assistant, Liza recently told me how much she loved lemon poppyseed. I had no choice but to make them (aunt and uncle included-we missed you lily) something studded with both those irresistible flavors. And yes, I was looking forward to test out another Greek yoghurt recipe.


INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 cups almond meal/flour
1 1/2 cups gluten free all purpose flour OR all purpose flour OR whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbl poppy seeds

1 egg
1/2 milk (dairy or otherwise)
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup Greek yoghurt
3 lemons zested & juiced

Oil for cooking
  1. Mix the dry ingredients (the first six) make sure to break up the chunks of almond flour especially if it's coarse
  2. In a separate bowl, beat the egg and add the other wet ingredients to it. Mix together
  3. Pour the wet mixture into the dry and mix together with a whisk until combined
  4. Heat a skillet or non-stick pan over medium heat
  5. Add canola oil, butter or coconut oil until it's heated but not burning
  6. Using a 1/3 cup scoop, drop circles of batter on to the hot pan
  7. Flip when the first side is completely set(about 2 minutes)
  8. Remove from pan when they are cooked through, it should take somewhere around 4-5 minutes

Of course this recipe also featured Greek Yoghurt because why not?!

4 comments:

  1. still offended by lemon curd on a menu, but I will allow you to make these for me. THEY LOOK FAB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many pancakes does this recipe make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't remember how many I made but it was enough for four people and a few leftovers that we froze

      Delete
  3. Looks lovely. I make the WFGF pancakes with similar but gotta say, best flours are a mix. I have used a spot of almond flour but have run out, then Pamela's br rice adding King Arthur gluten free. KA flour is hands down wonderful for baking. Some grocery stores knock off a couple of dollars. Its pricey like all gluten free products. I add banana slices and toasted pecans and blueberries and cinnamon as well.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...