Zucchini Noodles


Let's get real for a minute: zucchini is about to embrace its noodle side and you better be damn well ready.

It's no secret I'm a true blue vegetable fan. Whether we're talking raw, steamed, fried, roasted, dehydrated, or sauteed I like me some vegetation. 






It doesn't look fancy, but these mandolines are the best around. It's the only kind I have ever seen/used in a professional kitchen and I just think they are superb. Take it or leave it. 



In my first production class at school my Chef let us make up our own vegetarian entree to serve and on one of the days my group came up with spinach ravioli stuffed with ricotta and topped with zucchini & yellow squash "noodles" tossed with pesto. 

The noodles were a simple success and ever since I've been hooked on the concept.

That being said I haven't made said "noodles" nearly enough. So the time is now! 



After cutting the "noodles" I just submerged them in boiling water for a few minutes to soften those gorgeous strands.

Then I tossed 'em with a quick tomato sauce of canned whole plum tomatoes (quickly chopped), some fresh tomatoes, very thinly sliced garlic, and some sweet onions (I simmered all the junk together for 5-10 minutes before mixing in the zucchini)

Obviously salt was involved. Don't act like you don't know me...I am addicted to salt. Kosher preferred. 


Go on, do it up! These green noodle-wannabes are a great accompaniment to a depressingly beige (though delicious) meal like that one right above this.  They also are a stellar trick for conning children into enjoying vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...