Hand Rolled Pasta


I really wanted to make pasta the other night but alas we do not have a pasta roller.

Unwilling to give up on the mission, I opted for hand rolled pasta. I'm not going to say it was a glamorous method but it worked. 

I quickly threw together a pasta dough, grabbed the rolling pin and started the not-so-quick process of hand rolling garganelli. 

Pasta Ratio
1 1/2 cups durum flour
2 eggs
pinch of salt

I normally do a much larger batch, and I would usually recommend using weights because it's significantly more accurate but hell, I just sort of made it up and added flour until the texture was right. It was about 1 1/2 cups of flour with some coating the board while I kneaded it.

How To
Make a well with the flour
Crack the Eggs in the middle
Sprinkle the salt on top
Mix the eggs up and slowly work in the flour
As the egg gets soaked up, you can start working in more flour and begin kneading the dough

When a cohesive ball has formed, work the dough for a bit to develop gluten and get that nice pasta "bite"

I kneaded this little dough for 5-10 minutes.

Then wrap it up and let it sit in a warm area for about 20 minutes. When it's done, test it by poking the dough. It should bounce back and not leave an indent.


I really like garganelli because they hold chunky sauces really well. 

I also just think they are pretty little pasta tubes.

While the pasta dough rested I roasted up these lovely oyster mushrooms


I cut off the stems, tossed them in olive oil, sprinkled on some kosher salt and put them on a sheet pan. Then into a 425 degree oven until they were nice and brown.


Around that time I also had some lentils simmering on the stove.

When the dough had rested for a bit of time I took it out and cut off a small chunk, about 1/4 of the dough and rolled it out as thin as I could. It took some time time and bit of muscle but it got fairly thin. 


Then I took each sheet of pasta as it was rolled out and cut them into little rectangles.
To get the garganelli shape you just gotta roll them over a gnocchi board on an angle around a dowel or pencil or whatever. Make sure to wet one of the corners so it stays wrapped in a tube shape later.


While they are hangin out you've got to make sure they are sprinkled with flour so they don't stick to each other. 

So, there you have it. A day of pasta, or rather a few hours of pasta.


I tossed the pasta with some of the lentils, the roasted mushrooms & a brown butter sauce and topped it off with crispy fried sage leaves. I also had some hard boiled quail eggs lying around (for sure not a normal sentence/event) so I crumbled a few on top for a little somethin extra.


Sauce




brown butter, 1/2 stick
olive oil, 2 tbl
zest of one lemon
juice of one lemon
mustard, one teaspoon
salt & pepper



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...